1. What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?

The content of this video is close with the topic that our group chose, which is public goods. Through easy-to-understand language and rich pictures, this video makes it easier for people to understand the content.

This video uses the interaction with learning materials. Based on Bates’ book, “Interaction. Teaching in a Digital Age”, the interaction created when students work on a video clip, without teacher or other students directly involved, called the interaction with learning materials.

This YouTube video doesn’t force students to respond in any way.

2.In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?

Since this video doesn’t force learners to respond, learners can respond to this video by taking notes. It will help them better understand the content in the video. For example, in this video, the creator talked about how to distinguish between public and private goods, and students need to understand two concepts in order to understand the differences between public goods and private goods which are rivalry and excludability. Sometimes people confuse the two concepts, but taking notes will help them to learn.

3.What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?

I recommend that students have a group discussion after watching the video. Through group discussion, students can give some examples of public goods themselves and discuss its potential problems, and they can comment on the examples given by others. In this way, students will have a deeper understanding of public goods and better understand the content in the video.

Since we can not have face-to-face group discussions at this particular time, and everyone’s time is uncertain. In this situation, we can use platforms such as the discussion board to allow students to express their views on it, and then comment on others posts within a specified period of time. And I can create a discussion guide to allow students to follow. For instance, I can ask students some specific questions about the discussion topic and allow students to answer each question on the discussion board.

4.How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

I’d like to give them feedback via email, but that would be a waste of time because I would have to check everyone’s email and send my feedback to them. So I prefer to respond directly to them in their posts, I think this way is more effective. If they have any other questions during the course of their study, they can email me and I will reply in a timely manner. But if they ask complicated questions, which are hard to explain in an email, I will ask them to make an appointment for a Zoom meeting or a Skype call with me, and I will answer their questions on that.

5.How much work for you would that activity cause? Would the work be both manageable and worthwhile? Could the activity be scaled for larger numbers of students?

I need to think about how to assign team members, choose a discussion topic and create a discussion guide to allow students to follow. I would ask everyone to post on the discussion board and reply to at least one person’s post. And when the students have finished the discussion, I will reply to each person’s post. I think the work is both manageable and worthwhile. Through this activity, students can better understand the content in the video. However, if there are too many students, such as more than 30, it will take me a lot of time to reply to each person’s post, and students may not get feedback in time.

Conservation Strategy Fund. (2014, May 15). Public vs. Private Goods. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1v5eRs0_fw.

Bates, A. W. (T. (2019, October 10). 9.6 Interaction. Teaching in a Digital Age Second Edition. https://pressbooks.bccampus.ca/teachinginadigitalagev2/chapter/pedagogical-roles-for-text-audio-and-video/.